The Hand Rehabilitation Unit has formed an association with the Cape Town Sports & Orthopaedic Clinic, and together with Dr Ian Koller, offer a one-stop-shop for all hand injuries and disorders.
We also have sessional rooms at Mediclinic Cape Town.
What is Hand Therapy?
Hand Therapy is the specialization for the treatment and rehabilitation of hand injuries and disorders. It is the merging of Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy knowledge and skills in order to resolve predominantly traumatic and soft tissue injury. This is done by means of exercise, splinting and wound/scar care.
- Regain functional use of the hand
- Prevent dysfunction
- Reverse or slow the progression of pathologies affecting the hand
- Hand trauma resulting from accidents at work, crush injuries etc
- Sports hand injuries
- Post-surgical conditions
- Tendon lacerations and ruptures
- Joint fusions and replacements
- Overuse or repetitive strain injuries such as tendonitis
- Nerve compression / injuries
- Joint contractures and stiffness
- Burns injuries and burn related scarring